I’m back. Over the past few weeks I have been busy selling all my Warhammer models, boards and miscelania, which now is all gone except for the Primarchs and my Titans (which I spent way too much time and effort in to get rid of and they’re the coolest models I own and painted). So it was time for a new project.
Ever since I was a little kid and saw my first Star Wars movie (which was Return of The Jedi) I’ve always to own my own little Star Destroyer. At first, any model seems fine and fun, but I never was any good at painting. So I never really got to it. Over the past few years, I have improved my skills significantly, learning all kinds of tricks to help improve it even more.
A few weeks back, I found out about a guy named Randy Cooper, who, apparently, is one of the main guys that actually built models of ships that would be used in shooting movies (like Blade Runner, Star Trek and Starship Toopers). I checked out his site, and there it was. The most beautiful, most movie accurate version of the Star Destroyer Avenger I have seen so far. From that point on I knew I had to have it. So I ordered it. Now, as I am still awaiting delivery of the model, I had decided I wanted not only to paint it and give it a nice showbase and such, I also wanted to Illuminate it using LED’s. Truthfully, I have never worked with LED’s before, let alone adding electronics to any kind of model. So a while back, I found this old Revell model of a Venator Class Star Destroyer in the attic. So I ordered several LED’s with fibre optics of different sizes and I would use this model as my testpiece before I start on the Avenger and mess that up. I started this project about 2 weeks ago. I started out with drilling the holes, stripping the old paint and applying new basic colors, then aging the model and adding some more details, and before I new it, last tuesday I almost finished the model, except for the fact that it was still in it’s seperate sub-builds. And then I received the LED stuff. I went to work right away. I have been working tirelessly on it every single minute of the day I had spare. This is what it looked like after 2 days of work (mind you, the fibre optics are not inserted yet).After 5 days of work, the ship was nearing completion on painting, I had all the LED’s installed and working. So the last 2 days I have been working on adding the fibre optics. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of what it looks now. But tomorrow I will be putting the last details on it and then it’s done. I’ve also built more or less some sort of showcase base, which is just a standard built out of multiple things I could get my hands on, with a little specifications card of the Venator Class Star Destroyer. So, If you’re looking forward to see this poject finished, have a little more patience as it is close to completion, and when I finish it, I will be taking pictures of it from all sides to show you guys what I have made out of it.
Hope you liked it so far and you’ll see more very soon.