Tag Archives: milennium

The Avenger Rising (pt2)

Heya people.  So after 4,5 months or hard, tireless work, many customization and so forth, I am finally done working on my Star Destroyer.

Below are some pictures to show you the progress on the model. I first tested all the lights one final time before covering them with tape. After finishing off all the details on both the bottom and top pieces of the ship, I primered them completely with a black spraypaint. I then basecoated them with a light grey, going over them multiple times to get a nice solid coat, but letting it fade a little by the black undercoat so they would get a nice weathered tone. I then started picking out random panels on the ship, painting those in a slightly darker grey tone. After all the paints were completely dry, I put the pieces outside. Mixing your everyday standard black acrylic paint with a lot of water, I used this as a shade. Both pieces were completely covered in the home-made shade. With a waterspray I kept the model wet so the shade wouldn’t dry too fast before I could cover the entire piece. Once all of it was covered with the shade, I left it for a few minutes so it could properly settle into all the recesses, the whiping it all off with a microfiber rag. The shade will stay in the recesses, bringing out all those nice details like the scribing and giving a nice shade effect in all the little corners and tight spots. I repeated this process about 3 times per piece, comparing both pieces to make sure the shading and tone of the color was as close to eachother as possible. Once that was done, I left them to dry outside. I then began connected the last lights, which were in the engine section. After a final test, making sure all the lights still worked, I removed the tape and startes adding all the fiber optics into every hole I drilled. With that done, the ship was almost ready for final assembly.

I put on the lights, put the top on the bottom piece and started checking for any spots where the light was shining through where it wasn’t supposed to, filling those spots with pieces of plastic or even greenstuff, painting them with a grey closest to the shade of grey that the ship was painted in.

I lost count on how many times I put the ship together and take it out of eachother again. But eventually I got all the spots covered and then it was time for final assembly. On the last picture you can see how many glueing clamps I needed to secure this thing. The amount of pressure exercised on it got me a little worried. But it had to be done. I left the glue to dry while I was working. And when I came back and took of the clamps, it was done. The ship was assembled.

 

down

 

Down here I have put the pictures of the Star Destroyer, completely finished, including a handmade standard made out of wood and plexiglass, with a protective layer on the edges where the ship would rest on. I even added an on-scale miniature of the Milennium Falcon on the back of the bridge for fun, and to really capture the scale of how immense a ship the Star Destroyer is.

 

Now I don’t know about you, but I am happy as hell about how it came out. I just live it. At times it was a pain in the ass to work on. But when I see the endresult, I can only say it was worth all the effort.

It certaibly has been one hell of a project. I hope you enjoy the view as I am doing every day now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements