It’s been a while since my last post. My apologies. Over the past few months I’ve been very busy with work (switched jobs last October) and caught up with a lot of personal issues that have now been resolved. But that doesn’t mean I have not been working on some Warhammer 40,000 goodness. Actually, I have been very busy with that as well. So let’s take a quick look at what has been done so far.
- Half year ago I started with painting the model of Roboute Guilliman. That has been finished, though pictures will be made and posted in a seperate post, since I always give my personal view and experience on the Primarch models and want to keep doing it like that.
- Then, 4 months ago, I took on two paid commissions, one for a White Scars themed Space Marine army and one for a collection of Daemons of Slaanesh (and a Beast of Nurgle). These were finished and both clients were very happy with the results, as was I.
- The beginning of a new army!!!! Whut? Yes. 2 months back, a friend of mine was selling his models, for the reason of quitting the hobby because of the lack of time and money. So I bought these from him and until this very day I am trying to give them a nice paintjob. The first models I actually painted however, were the Tactical Marines from the new re-issued Tacticals set. A new addition to these mini’s were 32mm bases instead of the overly known 25mm, along with some extra parts and details (which are awesome!!). the change of base size gave me one issue. Every other miniature from my friend were still glued to 25mm bases, and as I saw no desire in breaking the models of completely, chancing to break the models themselves, I ordered some laser-cut MDF conversion rings (only 300 of ’em) for 30 dollars, which I think is a steal if you compare that 10 bases cost about 1/3rd of the price. Imagine buying 300, plus the fact that your models break while seperating them from the bases. I think I have stated my point. Anyway, I glued these rings around the original bases and personally, I think they are great. It adds a little more space to the bases, allowing for a little more details to be added, giving a little more support to certain models (metal, models with banners, models hanging over the base edge, a combination of any of said reasons). The only extra work it gives is filling up the creases in between the inner ring of the conversion rind and the outskirts of the plastic base, because the rings are straight edge on the in- and outside. But for the way I am basing my Space Marines, it is only ideal.
Oh right, and I am painting my Space Marines in the colorscheme of the Blood Ravens. Bases will be made to represent some sort of ice/snowy fields, much like Aurelia. The picture below shows my first Blood Ravens model, a Librarian, which was actually the model for Tigurius of the Ultramarines. Base here isn’t done yet but the picture showing the Tactical marines has completed bases but the Marines missing their chapter and company details. However I am very happy with the result of how the Tacticals came out of this.
- Working on another board, representing Aurelia.
- I also did 2 fun conversions a while ago. While I am a big fan of Chaos in it’s entirety and have always played Chaos Space Marines, I never liked the model GW supplies for Abaddon the Despoiler. In lore, he has bulked out even above Space Marines proportion because of the powers granted by the Chaos Gods, and he is wearing standard 40K terminator armor with a Chaos-y feel to it, while when reading books and lore about him, he was wearing Cataphractii Pattern Terminator armor, like seen on his model from Forgeworld. So I decided to convert a model to Abaddon, specifically Horus’s model. Why? I just love the way Horus’s armor looks (basically being enhanced Cataphractii armor to house Horus’ bulk). That being said, it would aslo perfectly represent Abaddon’s current stature, as he would have grown by Chaos boons and such. I added some bitz collected from a friend of mine, did some greenstuff sculpting (his entire back and the shoulderpads) and voila, I give you ”true-size Abadon”. He was reposed and built following his entry in the codex, depicting him in his current state.
and then there’s the fact that the current Chaos Space Marines tacticals are outdated as hell. So just for fun, I ordered 20 Chaos Raptors and some Black Legion metal shoulderpads and started reposing these. Added some spare arms and weapons from other sets and voilá, Chaos Marines with dynamic poses and decent details, instead of the simple, static models GW currently sells. Only thing I still need to add are the backpacks, but seen as this is a fun conversion project, I am not much in a hurry with finishing these.
So that’s just a ”quick” recap on what I have been doing over past time. Hope some of you are still watching me, because over the course of the coming months, I plan to make pictures of some stuff that will be finished soon, and I think there will be some pretty interesting stuff between all that.
Hope I didn’bore you to much and to see you in the next post.